Sunday, February 1, 2009

Entry 3.

I really feel as though I got a lot of good feedback on Wednesday, and am glad that I tried to write everything down so that I would remember it when I went to tweak my compositions again and so that I have some materiel to write about in here. Unfortunately my computer seems to have caught the same bug that everyone else's has, and is acting like a grumpy child who insists on throwing their rattle out of the pram and then whining about it. Its fits seems to have decreased, though, and this is the most that I've been able to write thus far without it pulling one of those 'windows is not responding' jokes...Let's just hope it's smartened up and decided not to throw any more child-size fits. Back to the notes...
- the fugue-like beginning seems to be liked, which makes me happy since it doesn't really fit in with the material I've used for the rest of the piece, but I wanted the introducting to give the instrumentalists something at least, rather than just being harmony and background noise behind the voice, and to set the mood.
- I've figured out what part the waltz-like section was from that Melissa liked, and had forgotten that I had initially planned on elaborating more on that...but then I forgot. Thanks for reminding me again, Melissa! I plan on extending that section a bit more today or tomorrow.
- The rhythm in the vocal line could stand to be more adventurous, and I completely agree. I've made it fairly deadbeat rhythm-wise, just because the notes are all over the place, but I might not be giving singers enough credit...heh, sorry! I'll work on that.
- The sextuplet part sticks out a bit, and I agree, though I kind of like it...Maybe I'll find a better transition, seeing as the direct one is...Well, direct. Go figure. This will hopefully give the piece more unity, as the changes are a bit abrupt and perhaps there are a few too many of them.
- and my piano writing is conservative...I just don't know what's physically possible and what isn't! I really wish I knew how to play piano better, that way I'd have a better idea of how to write accompaniments. I'll talk to Kim about it, and maybe even try my own hand at playing the piano part, just to see what it's like. I plan on looking at more piano music too, to see what kind of nuances there are that I like and can encorporate.
I've been thinking a lot about the next project as well, and have made a bit of ground on it though I haven't started writing anything yet. My natural inclination would be to write for an orchestra, which I've done on a few occasions before, but the competition thing is quite alluring, and if there's any chance that I might possibly win some money..Hey, it's got to be worth a shot, right? And then at least I'll have the experience of writing for band. My idea for the time being is to write a three-movement work inspired by Antoine Saint-Exupery's novel 'Le Petit Prince,' which is definately my favourite book. The first movement will be fairly minimalist I think, to invoke the image of le Petit Prince travelling through space with his white birds, the second will be....Uhm, I'll let you know when I have an idea...And the third movement I'm oping will be peaceful, beautiful and sad yet bittersweet. I still can't read the book without feeling very sad at the ending. I intend to use quotations from the book as the movement titles, but haven't really decided on them yet.

Well that's all for now,

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment